Thursday, October 30, 2008

Changes are coming...

So, on Tuesday I was offered a full-time counselor position at my work (so, same agency where I am now, different program) and I took it. It has been a long-ish convoluted journey to deciding this was the phase of life we needed to enter into, and while I'm sure many are glad they won't have to hear about it any more (Mark, me, small group!), I am very thankful for a community who has prayed with me through it.
However, I start next week. So this part-time gig, which was such a blessing and gift, is ending quickly. Thankfully, Naomi's school can't add Monday mornings yet, so we'll still have that. This brings up for me the two people that have been battling ever since Naomi came along: Professional Kristen and Parent Kristen. Not that they are mutually exclusive, they just have competing interests. And because they feel very differently about things, I can feel very confused a lot of the time, and have felt frozen in making a decision. So, for example Professional Kristen is excited about this new job, and sees that it will hopefully give me more options in the future, and was ready to do something different with some of the non-working time in her week. Parent Kristen is sad to give up the Mondays and Fridays with Naomi, and (even though she sees how much Naomi likes her school) questions whether she is being a good parent. Both are happy to bring home a full-time salary.
I feel really blessed to have had the time I've had over the last year and a half+, and look forward to making that happen again in the future.

1 comment:

poshdeluxe said...

i'm so happy about yr new job, kristen!! but i understand the conflict between the parent part of you and the professional part. decisions like this are never easy, but rest assured that you are a *wonderful* mother, and you've got lots of people around you who can support you whenever things get tough (and who can also babysit naomi!!).