This summer has been a ride, and I've been avoiding this. The post where I mention that Mark was laid off a month and a half ago. RIF=reduction in force. His whole team. I couldn't even really put it into words until now, it just sucked too much, to be honest. The day it happened, we knew some people were being let go, but he felt good about his job, and his position. I had taken the train with the kids and some friends downtown to the Children's Museum. We had a great morning - and when Mark called, I assumed he was at lunch, wanting to chat. He called from outside the museum - knowing we were there, he walked the 12 blocks to come find us. I won't forget that moment, so thankful I was with my friends that I could leave the kids to run outside and be with him, wishing he didn't have to go through this, feeling so sad for him, and so glad that we could be together right at that moment. We spent the rest of the afternoon getting lunch and riding the train home.
And then we went on vacation.
And then we went on vacation.
There have been some lovely ways that the timing of all this has worked, the first being that afternoon Mark was let go, the second being that we went on vacation two days later. Road trip to Colorado (those pictures will come later)! So, the plus? We've had a lot more time with Mark! The kids are enjoying him (even though there was a stretch where everyday felt like Saturday). The not-so-plus? We are still very much in limbo, and Mark is ready to get back to work.
Near the end of our time in Colorado, however, I applied for a part-time position at UT, in sort of an angsty place of wondering what comes next for us and the unknown. Three weeks later they offered me the job. So this past week I find myself back at work! At the counseling center, part-time during Naomi's school day, 4 days out of the week and will be 9 months out of the year. Ideal. Right now, I'm seeing the positives in timing: Mark can be with the kids while I'm starting this new gig. I'm working a little more now at the beginning than I will be regularly, and that will be helpful to be paid more. Micah has a spot at Naomi's old school in September. This is a job I would have wanted even if Mark hadn't been laid off, I just would not have been looking for it. I see these things and believe that God has a plan for us. Even though it is still unknown.
No comments:
Post a Comment